Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ash Wednesday - Lent

As far as I can remember, I have never participated in Lent and the process of giving up something for the time between Ash Wednesday & Easter Sunday!  But, this year will be different.  This year I plan to give up sodas, and I am going to try to quit smoking.  I do not like the word "quit" though.  So, I am going to try to stop smoking, indefinitely!

The reason I chose the two things are because I feel they are weighing me down and holding me back from Jesus.  Instead of relying on the Lord, I have become addicted to items that are bad for my health and my religion.

I want to become a stronger person, individual, and Christian.  I want to crave the Lord not sodas or cigarettes.  I want to live my life to the fullest, without anything holding me down.  Cigarettes and soda are ruining my health, which is ruining my progress to become a stronger person and Christian.

Lent is the time to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus!  It is a time to pray, as Jesus did, while removing items from your life that are holding you back.  During this time, I will try to pray and read the Bible several times throughout the day, while giving up items that are holding me back in my life.  In addition, I plan to clean and get rid of items that are old and not needed anymore.  I believe that by committing to Lent and sacrificing items, I will become more in tune with the Lord and His will in my life.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey Kayla,

How ironic that you wrote this post today and used the word CRAVE when mentioning your "addictions" that keep you from having the relationship you want with the Lord. Our church is actually doing a series called CRAVE! It's all about when we crave things that are not of the Lord. (God wants us to CRAVE only him!)

I have an "addiction" to food and control. And during this series, God has really put a conviction on my heart concerning these two things. I know that I have to just put it in his hands!

I will keep you in my prayers during Lent, and pray that God will meet all your needs while you sacrifice your "addictions" in order to grow in your faith and become healthy!!

You can go to http://www.osbornebaptist.com/ to check out the CRAVE series. It's great!

Love ya girl,
Jessica

Kayla Yow said...

Jessica,

Thank you for the prayers! I chose the word crave because of the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. I heard about it on K-Love in January. Is this what the CRAVE series is about at Osborne? I want this book, but I have not been able to afford it yet. Anyways, you can go to the link http://www.klove.com/blog/2011/01/default.aspx?page=3, which will take you to the Made To Crave 21 day journey that they did in January on K-Love. If you scroll all the way to the botttom, you will find day 1.

Again thank you for the prayers!

Love ya <3
Kayla